Wednesday, March 5, 2008


I mentioned yesterday that I had to restore some Item records after making a horrendous change to one of my Unit of Measure Schedules. It occurred to me that not everyone may be familiar with the underlying GP tables, maybe because they are named oh-so-intuitively...NOT!




So, for those of us who can't read minds, here's two ways for finding out what the table IV00106 really is. From the GP Menu, select:


Tools >> Resource Descriptions >> Tables

That pops up the Table Descriptions window. From there you can click the elispes to select a table.




Once you select a table, you get the down and dirty details.




Another way, which is actually the way I use most of the time, simply because it's a quick and dirty look up using SQL in Query Analyzer (or SQL Server Management Studio, as it's now called, but I still like the old name) , which is where I am at most of the day. So, without further ado, here's the script:


SELECT *
FROM DYNAMICS..SY40501


Gives you all the physical table names, what series they belong to, and a little descriptive info on what the table actually contains.


While the first way to obtain table info (i.e. through the GP GUI) certainly gives a more complete picture, the second way (i.e. through SQL) usually gives me what I am looking for.


Have fun!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

this might be an "elementary" question, but I need to input salary ranges. I cannot figure out how to input ranges for positions. I know its simple but I'm new to GP so be gentle???? :)